Sunday, May 8, 2011

Praise to the Mom


THEN
I wish I could be with my madre today to celebrate her. It's overwhelming when I think about all of the sacrifices she has made to be a mother - including that time we both almost died when I was still in utero. Basically I was a handful before I even arrived, and my mom has loved me unconditionally through it all.  She is a superstar. There are countless other sacrifices she has made, and there is no way I can ever repay her for the wonderful example she has been to me.  A few things she has taught me:

* The importance and vaule of hard work. People always assume since I'm the baby and the only girl in my family that I was spoiled. This absolutely was not the case; from a young age it was work, work, work. There aren't many things that are as rewarding as the satisfaction that comes from accomplishing short-term and long-term goals.
* How to be self-sufficient. This wasn't something I truly appreciated until I moved away from home. All of the things I watched other kids struggle to learn/accept I already knew thanks to my mom's wisdom.
* How to serve.  My mom is a complete dynamo when it comes to giving of her time and her talents. She is crazy talented in so many ways. 
*How to love and forgive others. It's been amazing to watch my mom through the years as people have been unkind, even downright rude to her, and she is always more than willing to look the other way and strives to be a peacemaker. It speaks volumes of her character and I appreciate that she practices what she preaches.

One of the biggest drawbacks of moving to DC has been being away from my mom. She has been, and continues to be, my biggest cheerleader. Happy Mother's Day to my favorite mom in the world!  I love you beyond words.
NOW


No comments:

Post a Comment