Thursday, August 11, 2011

Owning it - Curl Power

If I were to ever write a manifesto*, it would echo the sentiments of this article I came across in the NY Times. Hair has been a sensitive topic for me over the past 15 years or so. Reasons including:

1. I have massive amounts of it.
2. The texture has a mind of its own
3. Humidity likes to fight with it.
4. See #1

As we all know, it's hard being 'different' when you're a kid. I felt like I had some two strikes against me when I hit adolescence - first having a name that is weird/unpronouceable, and the second - having a wild mane atop my cabeza. Though I have never felt compelled to change my name, I have worked diligently over the years to learn how to deal with my hair. Hours upon hours have been spent blow-drying and flat ironing, not to mention the serious coin I've spent on product and tools. But for me, it has been worth it, since hair is something we wear every day. Also, thanks to some knowledgable/amazing (albeit expensive) stylists, I've learned how to work with my curly hair, perfecting product application technique and all.  Serious business.


thumbs-up for being au naturale. and for toile curtains.
 After a couple of years of prodding to work with my hair, instead of against it, I've essentially come to terms with the fact it's large and in charge.  Now that I'm living in such a humid climate once again, straightening is an utter waste in the summer months. And that's okay by me. 10 years ago I wouldn't have been able to say that. This acceptance has helped me become more comfortable with who I am in general, and has definitely freed up a lot of my time. Said time allows me to spend more time trolling the internets for precious videos like Jessica's affirmation. Because we should all be like Jessica, and simply like what we've got. Amen.

*99% sure this won't ever happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment