Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer's a-blazin...and almost over and out

Admittedly, blogging is not my strongest skill.  Perhaps it has something to do with the dinosaur vintage laptop I still use, which seemingly takes forever to do anything ?  Or the fact that I mostly use my beloved iPhone these days for all things internet related and haven't downloaded the blogger app yet. Anyway, enough with the excuses.  Here's a rundown of all that's been going down over the past {three} months.

It's no secret that I am a big fan of good food and thankfully (though a bit regrettably) DC has tons of great restaurants.  Slowly but surely I'm eating my way through this city. Shake Shack made it's debut a couple of months ago along with Pinkberry (still not Yogurtland, but their salted chocolate carmel is divine)and Serendipity3. At Ted's Bulletin, my dining companion and I were daring and tried the PB&J burger. The verdict? Pretty tasty, if you are into sweet + savory. And then there's the ridiculous infatuation this place has with cupcakes so of course that means I've been to Georgetown Cupcake, Baked & Wired and Crumbs. It's easier to justify when you bike to these places, right?


Shake Shack picnic @ Dupont

For Memorial day weekend, I went to Duck Beach, aka Mormon Spring Break. I had no idea what to expect, since I have heard approximately 68 different opinions about this annual event.  Luckily Jill, Summer and Nicole decided to make the journey from Phoenix, so I knew it was going to be fun no matter what. The weekend definitely exceeded my expectations and was really just what I needed: time with good friends and lounging on the beach.
The downside to the weekend was that I was a total gimp.  A few weeks leading up to the trip I managed to get a stress fracture (or something similarly painful) in my right foot. Despite limping, very slowly all weekend and being hopped up on Ibuprofen, I still managed to have one of the best weekends I've had in I don't know how long. There were numerous mobile dance parties, late nights, and quality time spent consuming Jill's no-bakes. Still my favorite. It also made me realize just how much I miss my amigas, which prompted me to start planning our next beach rendezvous basically the day I got home from NC.



Say Anything throwback, 2011 style
 
June was spent working back at the same temp job that I was at in March, April and part of May. I had a 3 week break and was asked to come back. Definitely a love/hate relationship because the job itself was so boring, but money has proven to be quite necessary these days. 




practicing our smiling. he's got it down.


Also in June I started working for a family who lives in NW DC taking care of their newborn baby boy, staying the night to wake up for feedings, etc. After working my 9-5 job, I would Metro to their house a couple of times a week. At first I wasn't so sure about this gig, but decided to try it out.  Although exhausting, I've actually enjoyed it and learned a lot and feel more confident about having my own infant - someday.  My temp job ended two weeks ago and I've just been taking care of the baby. I no longer stay the night, which means my quality of life has improved dramatically and I no longer feel like a sleep deprived zombie. It's also made it easier to continue job searching and interviewing since I have so much more free time during the day. Sometimes things just work out. A lot better than we can anticipate.


baby J

I  took a much needed trip to the West Coast at the end of June/beginning of July. I flew to PHX, where I was able to spend a little time with the fam, hit up Last Chance (2X, naturally), see T'liese and get a haircut. You know, cover all the basics.  After roughly 24 hours in the inferno, Jill, Summer and I peaced out to So Cal for cooler temps and some R&R. 
Instead of just hanging around Huntington Beach, we decided to spend a couple of days closer to LA. Friday we explored Santa Barbara, which has been on my list for years now. It is a super charming, quaint town that I would highly recommend.  Saturday we hit up Malibu, where we encountered LOTS of paparrazi (they were waiting for Paris Hilton, who we caught a glimpse of, at what appeared to be a staged party. whoopee).
Sunday we made our way to HB for church, and stayed to celebrate America's bday the next day.  Props to that city; they really know how to do Independence Day right. Flags galore, firework light displays, lots of patriotic displays in yards - they take the holiday very seriously. We spent the day at the beach, basking in the sun, and I was beyond ecstatic to boogie board. Fact: one of my favorite memories ever was when I spent, not exaggerating, 5 hours boogie boarding in Hawaii. I felt completely nostalgic and happy that the water was warm enough in HB to get in b/c it's usually frigid. Also, notably, the first year, probably ever, I wasn't sweating profusely while watching fireworks. I was actually chilly. So great.  Before we rolled out of town on Tues. we stopped at Balboa Island for lunch and of course, our favorite - balboa bars.
beautiful Balboa







Temps in DC in July were insane! No escaping the heat.


1 comment:

  1. cute...you with that baby = cute. show that to them boyzz. i also laughed when you talked about money proving to be necessary. i feel like i have this realization app. once per day.

    ReplyDelete