Friday, January 14, 2011

Easing into It

I decided it would be okay if I gave myself a day to adjust to the jet lag, new climate, and unfamiliar area and not get too crazy and ambitious with the day's tasks. Therefore, it was a relatively relaxing, stressfree day. Just one day at a time (shout out to Elder Christofferson for his recent reminder of this).

It's safe to say that I have lucked out on the roommate situation. I'm living with 3 other girls, all totally normal and extremely helpful. One of them let me tag along with her while she ran errands, which means I got to go to Trader Joe's, Target, and Great Harvest Bread Co. Basically, all of my happy places. So nice being able to pick up some necessities and see parts of Rockville/Bethesda. I already feel my independence going down the drain without a car, but such is life..

Afterwards, we went running around our hood and said roommate showed me where the Metro stop is (less than a mile from our place) and some other key places like a farmer's market with excellent produce and a nearby dry cleaners. At this point it really is about location, location, location. Even though it was literally freezing, it was beautiful running the snow covered nature loop, which I was assured is even more beautiful in the Spring when everything is in bloom. Thank heavens I invested in some decent full length spandex because layering is wear it's at, even if it might not be super flattering. Functionality over decent fashion sense if it means staving off the
frost bite.

View from our veranda. Hot/Cold all at the same time.

Tonight my roommates threw a little dinner party, which last night I was informed I couldn't attend because there weren't enough seats. Kinda odd, but don't think they realized how this sounded. However, since Mormons tend to be flakey, a couple of people backed out last minute and I was able to eat with everyone instead of staying in my room..only a slightly awkward conversation, but it all worked out.

I met several people from the ward, including a friend of a friend who's from Mesa and also happens to look like Michael Phelps. Also chatted with some girls who moved to DC and did the same thing I'm doing. They had lots of advice on getting around, housing, etc. It is cool to be in a place where everyone has been new at some point, therefore they're sympathetic and welcoming.

2 comments:

  1. luv it already. exactly as i envisioned it. hollar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, not enough seats in the house? That is probably the weirdest thing I have ever heard! But glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete